An Open invitation to design Innovative Furniture for Neglected Communities in India and Africa
Thinking Hand NGO
A non-profit organization located in Hyderabad India. Our endeavor is to bring awareness on design and innovation through workshops, exhibitions, lectures, discussions and competitions, and channel them to bring positive change in the society. Previously, Thinking Hand has conducted a workshop “Shelter in Need”, aiming to design a foldable structure, to shelter refugees and other vulnerable groups during disasters. To signify the history, profoundness in architectural design and engineering of our heritage sites, neglected since long, an exhibition and discussion “Trails” was held, calling for the attention of civil society and government to usher the immediate protection that these heritage sites deserve. Recently, in collaboration with University of Innsbruck an “Indo-Euro workshop” was held to bring design solutions for neglected communities, appreciating the efforts university has agreed and pioneered a studio project named E2-energy efficient low cost construction in India. To build effectual dwelling units, ergonomically designed furniture and other interiors are as important as strong external structures, and to bring best design solutions currently an international design competition is announced.
Aims and objectives of the competition:
- To bring awareness among students/professionals how design can help in ameliorating the conditions of society.
- To motivate students and professionals to think out of the box and execute them 1:1 scale.
- To build innovative furniture for the deprived, and contribute to benefit the neglected communities around the world.
Competition Design brief:Competition is open to everyone including students and professionals. Design a furniture, which is ergonomically sound, cost effective, environment friendly and feasible to build in neglected communities. As we all are aware, inhabitants in slums and other neglected communities lack space to accommodate. The furniture designed shall fit and transform from smaller spaces to larger spaces, based on adaptive user need, help them to store, sit, sleep, read, and write and more.Evaluation criteria:
- Quality in design
- Material (Environment friendly)
- Stability and structure
- Buildable idea
- Expressing idea clearly on paper
Prizes: First, Second, Third and Two special mentions
Ketham’s Atelier Architects would fund those selected designs and helps in developing design and constructs the prototypes and shares it with neglected communities in India and Africa. And also winners will receive Trophy, Certificate, TH t-shirt and publication.
Jury: National and International jurors from diverse backgrounds (Jurors list shall be announced on 26 January 2018)
Registration deadline: 26 January 2018 (Anyone can participate who is interested in designing) Please send your details to email@example.com and mention why you would like to participate in competition
5. Phone number
(Once registered you will receive unique ID number by email)
Entry: Free (one person can submit only one project)
Project submission format:
- Online submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maximum Three A3 size sheets (landscape format)
- Maximum Text 500 words, which expresses idea clearly. Scale of the drawings is up to participant’s choice.
- Please mention your Unique Registration ID number on top right hand corner of the sheet.
- Please submit your entry on or before 20 February 2018 at 11:59 PM IST (Indian Standard Time)
Competition Poster and Design brief release: 20 Dec 2017
Registration deadline: 26 January 2018
Panel Jurors poster: 26 January 2018
Deadline for online submission: 20 February 2018
For questions and queries please contact: email@example.com
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”